Monday, November 4, 2013

Adductor tendonitis

That's the diagnosis I've been sitting with for the last few weeks.  Adductor tendonitis.  Everything I've read says I am a giant idiot for ignoring signs and symptoms.  Cases deemed early stage are cured with rest.  Severe?  Months of recovery and rehab with high probability of chronic.

Any takers as to where I think I fall?

Nothing is certain when you have an injury and I'm not giving up on my 2014 season, but I can say with certainty that the 50k I had planned to register for has taken a backseat.  Stump Jump will be there another year.  Sure, the race is 11 months out and a lot could happen between now and then.  But an ultra in the mountains?  That demands respect for the distance and the terrain and I know that I can't put myself behind the 8 ball at T-11 months.

So, I patiently do my PT exercises.  I swim.  I bike.  For now only in 15-20min increments before I am stopped from either pain or fatigue (which leads to weird compensations and then pain).

And I try not to think too much about my physical therapist's concern about impingement and labral tears and how 'something in the joint just isn't right.'  And I think about friends of mine that have overcome so much more than this.

It's the fear of the unknown that I am learning to embrace.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

The girl I've run my last two trail races with did Stump Jump and said it was really hard. Took her over 8 hours. Maybe it's a good thing to delay it for now.

Hope you feel better soon.

Meggan Johnson said...

Oh man. This really sucks! I'm sorry to hear it!