Tuesday, January 7, 2014

7 days and counting

2014 isn't about BIG.  It's about tweaks.  Small changes that I can latch on to, that help keep me focused.  And present if you will.

One of the things I need to keep on the front burner is strength.  Another is flexibility.  I'm not saying that I've suddenly started doing 60min of functional strength followed by hot yoga.  That would not be sustainable for me.  At all.  I would last one day.  Maybe.

Starting small is the key to sustainability for me since we all know how easy it is for me to scour ultrasignup.com and find big, scary races to sign up for (not that I've done that this year...ahem).

So every day this year (how cool is it that I can say that!) I have started my morning with sun salutations.  Not 15min worth, but 3-5 cycles through just to get a stretch first thing out of bed.  I've done them in my bedroom, in the bathroom and right there in my kitchen.  Clearly, location doesn't matter for me.  I'm not one to jump on the yoga bandwagon, classes make me want to climb the walls, but I do believe in the benefits of a deep breath and a good stretch.  Sun salutations for the win.

The other thing I've been doing every. single. day. is a strength aspect.  1min of planks, CrossFit hand release push ups, pistols (single leg squats) and squats.  The push ups, pistols, and squats match the date on the calendar.  For example, on the 1st I did one of each (woohoo, easy!).  Today is the 7th, so I did 7.  I'll continue all the way up to 31.

I don't look quite this tough...

Those are the small tweaks and I already notice a difference (not hard when you're rebuilding from nada).  One week in and things are looking up.


1 comment:

LZ said...

Awesome job! Great idea for small goals! I like the sun salutations one for flexibility! Keep it up!